Mayor Backus formally proclaimed Might Psychological Well being Consciousness month in Auburn in her Might 1 weekly tackle. Might has been noticed in the USA as Psychological Well being Consciousness month since 1949. The aim of this month is to combat stigma, educate the general public, and assist individuals with psychological sickness and their households.
Psychological sickness isn’t one thing to ever be ashamed of. Listed below are only a few statistics on psychological well being from the Nationwide Alliance on Psychological Sickness and the World Well being Group:
- 43.Eight million adults in America expertise psychological sickness in a given yr. (NAMI)
- 1 in 5 adults in America expertise a psychological sickness (NAMI)
- Almost 1 in 25 (10 million) adults in America dwell with a critical psychological sickness (NAMI)
- One-half of all persistent psychological sickness begins by the age of 14; three-quarters by the age of 24 (NAMI)
- 1 in 100 (2.four million) American adults dwell with schizophrenia (NAMI)
- 2.6% (6.1 million) of American adults dwell with bipolar dysfunction (NAMI)
- 6.9% (16 million) of American adults dwell with main melancholy (NAMI)
- 18.1% (42 million) of American adults dwell with nervousness issues (NAMI)
- Roughly 10.2 million adults have co-occurring psychological well being and dependancy issues (NAMI)
- Roughly 26% of homeless adults staying in shelters dwell with critical psychological sickness (NAMI)
- Roughly 24% of state prisoners have “a latest historical past of a psychological well being situation” (NAMI)
- Despair is the main reason behind incapacity worldwide and is a serious contributor to the worldwide burden of illness (NAMI)
- The worldwide economic system loses about US$ 1 trillion per yr in productiveness attributable to melancholy and nervousness (WHO)
- Individuals with extreme psychological issues die 10 to 20 years sooner than the final inhabitants (WHO)
- Nearly 800 000 individuals die by suicide yearly; 1 particular person dies from suicide each 40 seconds. Suicide is the second main reason behind dying in people aged 15-29 years (World numbers – WHO)
- 90% of those that die by suicide have an underlying psychological sickness. Suicide is the 10th main reason behind dying within the U.S (NAMI)
- Almost 60% of adults with a psychological sickness didn’t obtain psychological well being providers within the earlier yr (NAMI)
- Almost 50% of youth aged 8-15 didn’t obtain psychological well being providers within the earlier yr (NAMI)
African American & Hispanic Individuals used psychological well being providers at about half the speed of whites previously yr and Asian Individuals at about 1/three the speed (NAMI)
Crucial factor to recollect for anybody experiencing a disaster, trauma, or different signs of psychological sickness is that assist is accessible. Nobody fights alone.
Psychological Well being Consciousness Playlists
For the Month of Might, the AE Workforce created playlists for Psychological Well being Consciousness.
Warning: some songs could comprise express lyrics.
Elizabeth’s Psychological Well being Consciousness Playlist:
As somebody dwelling with C-PTSD, the songs on this record resonate with me.
Jason’s Psychological Well being Consciousness Playlist:
This playlist is designed as a manner into my mindset when it pertains to psychological sickness. Sometimes, this was not spoken about out loud within the latest previous. The instances are altering, nonetheless, which is just an excellent factor. Once I consider psychological sickness, I consider reaching out for assist to buddies or members of the family. I additionally take into consideration the buddies we test in on or vice versa. To me, empowerment comes from our skills to attach as human beings. These songs mirror my private views.
Scott’s Psychological Well being Consciousness Playlist:
Waylon’s Psychological Well being Consciousness Playlist: