At a time when self-isolation and lockdown is testing our endurance to scroll by way of the seemingly infinite record of movies on streaming platforms, we’re turning to the nice Susan Sontag, the acclaimed author, filmmaker and activist, who was broadly considered considered one of America’s best cinephiles.
Having written extensively about images, tradition and media, activism and human rights amongst different issues, Sontag would by no means shrink back from the world’s main speaking factors and repeatedly travelled to areas of battle, most notably the Vietnam Warfare.
As soon as described as “one of the vital influential critics of her era,” Sontag repeatedly collected her ideas in journals and essays which had been revealed in later years. The journals, which included lists and manifests of Sontag’s most liked movies, music, quotes and observations which had been launched by her son David Rieff who edited the content material down.
When talking of Sontag’s favoured movies, an inventory that we’re specializing in, Rieff notes: “The record continues as much as quantity 228, the place SS abandons it,” when engaged on the 1977 essay which included her pivotal essays in movie criticism.
Regardless that Sontag was closely essential of movie in her 1996 article ‘The Decay of Cinema‘, writing that movies can solely be nice if they’ve “precise violations of the norms and practices that now govern film making in all places within the capitalist and would-be capitalist world—which is to say, in all places,” Sontag was a lover of cinema in many alternative points.
She added: “You hardly discover anymore, not less than among the many younger, the distinctive cinephilic love of films that’s not merely love of however a sure style in movies (grounded in an enormous urge for food for seeing and reseeing as a lot as potential of cinema’s wonderful previous).”
Regardless of being closely essential previously, Sontag held a sure variety of movies near her coronary heart. Of the 228 initially outlined, the under record states 50 of her most liked.
Susan Sontag’s prime 50 favorite movies:
- Pickpocket – Robert Bresson, 1959
- 2001: A House Odyssey – Stanley Kubrick, 1968.
- The Huge Parade – King Vidor, George Hill, 1925.
- Ossessione – Luchino Visconti, 1943.
- Excessive and Low – Akira Kurosawa, 1963.
- Hitler: A Movie from Germany – Hans-Jürgen Syberberg, 1977.
- 2 or three Issues I Know About Her – Jean-Luc Godard, 1967.
- The Taking of Energy by Louis XIV – Roberto Rossellini, 1966.
- La Règle du jeu – Jean Renoir, 1939.
- Tokyo Story – Yasujirō Oz, 1953.
- Gertrud – Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1964.
- Battleship Potemkin – Sergei Eisenstein, 1925
- The Blue Angel – Josef von Sternberg, 1930.
- Dr. Mabuse the Gambler – Fritz Lang, 1922.
- L’Eclisse – Michelangelo Antonioni, 1962.
- A Man Escaped – Robert Bresson, 1956.
- Napoléon – Abel Gance, 1927.
- Man with a Film Digital camera – Dziga Vertov, 1929.
- Judex – Louis Feuillade, 1916.
- Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome – Kenneth Anger, 1954.
- Vivre Sa Vie – Jean-Luc Godard, 1962.
- Fists within the Pocket – Marco Bellocchio, 1965.
- Youngsters of Paradise – Marcel Carné, 1945.
- Seven Samurai – Akira Kurosawa, 1954.
- Playtime – Jacques Tati, 1967.
- The Wild Baby – François Truffaut, 1970.
- L’Amour Fou – Jacques Rivette, 1969.
- Stachka – Sergei Eisenstein, 1925.
- Greed – Erich von Stroheim, 1924.
- The Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach – Jean-Marie Straub, 1968.
- Padre Padrone – Vittorio Taviani, Paolo Taviani, 1977.
- Muriel – Alain Resnais, 1963.
- Le Trou – Jacques Becker, 1960.
- Magnificence and the Beast – Jean Cocteau, 1946.
- Persona – Ingmar Bergman, 1966.
- The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant – Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1972.
- Intolerance – D. W. Griffith, 1916.
- Contempt – Jean-Luc Godard, 1963.
- La Jetée – Chris Marker, 1962.
- Crossroads – Bruce Conner, 1976.
- Chinese language Roulette – Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1976.
- The Grand Phantasm – Jean Renoir, 1937.
- The Earrings of Madame De… – Max Ophüls, 1953.
- The Girl With the Little Canine – Iosif Kheifits, 1960.
- Les Carabiniers – Jean-Luc Godard, 1963.
- Lancelot of the Lake – Robert Bresson, 1974.
- The Searchers – John Ford, 1956.
- Earlier than the Revolution – Bernardo Bertolucci, 1964.
- Teorema – Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1968.
- Mädchen in Uniform – Leontine Sagan, 1931.
Richard Brody, writing within the New Yorker in regards to the record, referenced the phrases by Sontag by saying: “She was mistaken,” with regard to he pleasure for movie. “Cinephilia was there, however, for sure sensible causes, it was comparatively quiet. It’s not quiet anymore, and nice, distinctive films had been issuing from all over the world.”
Under, take pleasure in Letter From Venice, Susan Sontag’s fourth and remaining movie launched in 1983.
(Through: New Yorker)