On Sunday evening at Cash within the Financial institution, Ronda Rousey eliminated any doubt as as to if she will be able to hack it within the ring as a WWE famous person. The physicality she delivered and absorbed all through her Uncooked girls’s championship match in opposition to Nia Jax proved that Rousey’s WrestleMania efficiency was no fluke.
Regardless of it being simply her second televised match with the WWE, followers at Allstate Enviornment and at house have been prepared for Rousey to stroll out of that match as champion. That is not fairly the way it all labored out, although, as Alexa Bliss attacked Rousey and Jax along with her newly gained Cash within the Financial institution briefcase, triggered a disqualification after which cashed in her title shot to regain the Uncooked girls’s championship.
Having as soon as once more proved herself a worthy in-ring competitor, Monday was a chance for each Rousey and the WWE to show they’d a greater grasp of how the previous UFC girls’s bantamweight champion might work to her strengths exterior of matches. In a matter of simply 12 minutes to open Monday Evening Uncooked, Rousey confirmed that her finest method to match promotion and storytelling within the WWE is a matter of actions over phrases.
Bliss opened Uncooked delighting in her subterfuge and disruption of the established order, however as she ran by means of all of the the explanation why she had outsmarted everybody, Rousey got here charging down the ramp with an intense look and a singular mission in thoughts. Kurt Angle held Rousey again, which Bliss took as a chance to brag about the entire consideration she was getting as a substitute of the “irrelevant” Rousey.
When Bliss completed making her level by calling Rousey an “over-hyped rookie,” Rousey pushed previous Angle and swept Bliss’ legs out.
In a second harking back to “Stone Chilly” Steve Austin, Rousey’s assault ultimately swept Angle within the combine — first with strikes that swung backwards and forwards between Bliss and Angle, after which, when Bliss launched the briefcase as a weapon, Rousey supplied briefcase photographs for all concerned. Referees and officers have been swept away, and Rousey ultimately slung Bliss over her shoulders and powerbombed her by means of a desk.
There was no smiling, happy-to-be-there Ronda Rousey — it was get-down-to-business, scowl-on-her-face Ronda Rousey, extra actions than phrases, destroying each impediment that acquired in her approach. The assault earned Rousey an in-storyline 30-day suspension, and after a terse interview as Rousey left the constructing, throughout which she promised to kick Bliss’ “pink-haired” ass, that was that.
Whether or not the suspension was a way for Rousey to work on one other undertaking, work within the lab to proceed to sharpen her WWE expertise or just a way to maintain Rousey out of play as a title challenger till August’s SummerSlam pay-per-view, the WWE lastly appeared to get how finest to faucet into the talent set of a official fighter. Whereas she figures issues out on the microphone, preserve it brief, candy and to the purpose — and let her actions and facial expressions do the work.
Seth Rollins flies too near the solar, loses IC title to Dolph Ziggler
With Elias formally in Seth Rollins’ rear-view mirror after Cash within the Financial institution, the Intercontinental championship open problem formally acquired again underway. When Dolph Ziggler and Drew McIntyre walked out, the prospect of both man difficult Rollins was a welcome sight as one other in a rising stretch of robust showings from Rollins.
When Ziggler in the end stepped up, the match didn’t disappoint. Stretching properly past two industrial breaks, Rollins and Ziggler predictably threw themselves and one another everywhere in the ring and out of doors of it — together with a very loopy second that got here throughout a industrial break that WWE selected to replay at least thrice.
One of many key themes all through the evening on Uncooked was enjoying up the harm and fatigue issue of everybody who carried out at Cash within the Financial institution, and this was no completely different. Rollins and ZIggler have been simply beginning to attain one other gear when a single 10-second stretch introduced the match to a jarring finish with a stunning end. One evening after Rollins countered Elias’ try at grabbing a handful of tights to safe a win, Rollins tried to do the identical after a distraction from McIntyre began a sequence response that led to a pinfall try.
This time, nevertheless, Ziggler rolled by means of, grabbed tights and leverage and, to the shock of just about everybody watching, scored the three-count and the title win. The now-six-time Intercontinental champion — tied for third in all-time reigns with Jeff Jarrett and Rob Van Dam, behind solely The Miz and Chris Jericho — rubbed it in by mocking Rollins’ title whipping over his head. Then McIntyre rolled within the ring and added damage to insult with the Zig-Zag/Claymore mixture.
As out-of-nowhere as this title change appears to be, it fits a variety of completely different tales the WWE was attempting to inform. It offers Ziggler and McIntyre credibility after they speak about tearing by means of the Uncooked roster, it makes Rollins susceptible and provides him a hurdle to clear and, maybe most significantly, it reiterates that just about any match can pull out a stunning ending each now and again to maintain issues unpredictable.
Ziggler and Rollins will run it again subsequent week, and there needs to be little doubt as to what we are able to count on to see.
Hits and misses
• After the primary two segments of the present set a loopy tone for the evening by turning every little thing on its head, issues principally settled down till the principle occasion. Kevin Owens spent his evening hobbling round with accidents after falling off a large ladder and thru a desk Sunday evening, however he was no much less able to attempt to manipulate every little thing round him. He tried to supply Braun Strowman an olive department and congratulations for profitable Cash within the Financial institution, however narrowly averted a powerslam as soon as he stepped within the ring.
A backstage confluence of things arrange a primary occasion that paired Owens with Baron … err, Constable Corbin to tackle Strowman and Finn Balor. Although it appeared as if Uncooked was rolling towards a predictable, send-the-fans-home-happy ending, that is not how issues performed out in any respect. Strowman took a number of assaults from Corbin — who wrestled in his costume garments — that left an affect. Finally, in a mad scramble on the finish of the match, Corbin caught Balor, hit the Finish of Days and scored an amazing, clean-as-can-be victory for himself and his workforce in the course of the ring.
That win might assist Corbin step into the still-yet-to-be-defined multiman match at Excessive Guidelines that may decide Brock Lesnar’s subsequent official challenger for the Common championship. Bobby Lashley and Roman Reigns, who went nose-to-nose after which later teamed as much as beat The Revival, are the primary two males entered into that match, however we’ll have to attend and see for the remaining.
• After dropping the ball in a giant approach over the previous few months, Bayley and Sasha Banks have been reunited for a grand whole of 1 match earlier than a loss to the Riott Squad and additional pressure broke them aside for good. A shoving match within the ring begat a backstage brawl, which led to Bayley tossing a water bottle at Banks’ fleeing automotive. Hopefully the in-ring performances can wash away a few of the unhealthy style the construct to this match has left behind thus far.
• The B-Group did their finest Matt Hardy and Bray Wyatt impressions, and the resemblance between Wyatt and Bo Dallas is uncanny — correctly since they’re really brothers. Their try at attempting to jump-cut out of the promo did not work, forcing them to slowly drop out of the body as a substitute, and Dallas and Curtis Axel have accomplished a very good job up to now of straddling the road of foolish and an excessive amount of. We’re nonetheless ready to see after they’ll get their Uncooked tag-team title shot.
• Jinder Mahal appeared to embrace a part of his former pacifist character in a promo, earlier than destroying Chad Gable in a far-too-short match for the latter, who appears to proceed to slide additional and additional into the abyss by the week.
• Elias sang a tragic tune, however reveled in Rollins’ loss and took pot photographs at Brock Lesnar and the Grand Rapids crowd, which made him really feel higher.
• Mojo Rawley did not get an entrance, however he did get a win over No Approach Jose. There is not any telling the place that is going.