1. Get a authorized pronouncement of loss of life. If no physician is current, you’ll have to contact somebody to do that:
- If the particular person dies at house below hospice care, name the hospice nurse, who can declare the loss of life and assist facilitate the transport of the physique.
- If the particular person dies at house with out hospice care, name 911, and have in hand a do-not-resuscitate doc if it exists. With out one, paramedics will typically begin emergency procedures and, besides the place permitted to pronounce loss of life, take the particular person to an emergency room for a physician to make the declaration.
2. Prepare for transportation of the physique. If no post-mortem is required, the physique will be picked up by a mortuary (by legislation, a mortuary should present value data over the telephone) or crematorium.
3. Notify the particular person’s physician or the county coroner.
4. Notify shut household and buddies. (Ask some to contact others.)
5. Deal with care of dependents and pets.
6. Name the particular person’s employer, if she or he was working. Request data about advantages and any pay due. Ask whether or not there was a life-insurance coverage by means of the corporate.