August 5, 2020
Introduction: Dominic Fike, a Florida-native from Naples, launched his first full size album, What Might Presumably Go Incorrect, Friday, July 31, 2020. The long-awaited album has been within the works over the past three years. Previously, Fike has labored with artists akin to Kevin Summary, Yeek, Omar Apollo, and Kenny Beats. This album was produced by Julian Cruz and The Roommates. It displays on themes of the realities of fame, the significance of household, and all the opposite experiences with medicine and love in between.
- Come Right here – The opening monitor of the album begins with a bang. With a heavy various rock guitar instrumental beneath distorted vocals, this music is an attention-grabber. Fike posted a music video on his Instagram with the music within the background a day earlier than the discharge of the album. Identical to the title of the album, I really feel just like the songs all through it are full of a number of questions, on this case, “so why can’t you inform me / what you suppose I ought to do?” From the remainder of the lyrics, I feel these could also be inquiries to a love curiosity.
- Double Damaging (Skeleton Milkshake) – This subsequent monitor has a lighter pop sound in comparison with the earlier music. Fike’s vocals are softer as he sings of how individuals can change proper earlier than your eyes, and generally meaning they might not be match for the subsequent step. A standout lyric was, “Possibly in case you really feel misplaced / It’s since you are.” Relying on the season of life, I feel listeners can relate to each components of the music, watching mates change or being the one which feels misplaced.
- Cancel Me – An upbeat music with brutally sincere lyrics, this monitor lifts the veil between the “glamour” of Hollywood, and the realities of tour life and a fast rise to fame. Fike sings that he desires to be “cancelled” in order that he can spend extra time along with his household. Proper earlier than he launched the album, he previewed a snippet of the music video of this music which was filmed by his little sister, Apollonia. He advised followers within the caption, “it comes out similtaneously my album however watch this primary then pay attention.” I watched the video earlier than listening to the album, and though it isn’t the primary music on the album, I feel it units the inspiration for the place Fike’s coronary heart is, and that’s along with his household. The lyrics and video work collectively to set Fike off of a pedestal and relate him again to on a regular basis individuals, the sort who make actual errors and have actual households. I discover, “so I can give up wearin’ this masks,” to be a humorous line simply due to COVID-19, and it has you questioning if he means a face masks, or a metaphorical masks of a unique Hollywood persona.
- 10x Stronger – I feel songs that may evoke feelings with minimal lyrics are a number of the greatest. In “10x Stronger,” Fike has a single line that claims, “I fake I’m ten occasions stronger for you.” The orchestral sounding melody was performed by a string trio whereas recording in New York. The music provides the sensation of safety and hopefulness.
- Good Sport – The start of this music provides me a slight 80s dream-pop vibe. It’s a type of songs you possibly can simply sway forwards and backwards to. I feel Fike’s vocals shine via with a number of readability on this music. Listeners can hear him crooning lyrics that appear to be from the viewpoint of somebody from his previous, many suppose it’s his dad’s perspective. Whoever the narrator is tells him, “effectively, don’t you change into your daddy.” Fike has talked about his father in previous songs akin to “Babydoll” from his Don’t Overlook About Me, Demos, saying, “lookin’ for anyone completely different ‘trigger my daddy was a pimp.” A number of the different lyrics in “Good Sport” are extra tender like, “Generally, I wanna prevent from every part / like your issues and the hazards of on a regular basis life (Do you keep in mind?)” General, the music has a very candy message and appears to return from a caring viewpoint.
- Why – This music was initially teased in Could of final 12 months in an Instagram submit. It’s a cool little monitor the place Fike asks a woman, “why?” – why she lets individuals waste her time, why she pays an excessive amount of lease, why she isn’t paying extra consideration to what’s happening round her. A bit of part within the second verse that stood out was, “what number of warnin’ indicators ‘til it hits you, darling? / gravity’s your buddy / you fall out of contact someday / however your historical past calls you again to it once more.” I feel this might imply that folks need to make errors for themselves to study from them. You possibly can’t need extra for somebody than they need for themselves. The drums on this music had been completed by Ryan Raines, Fike’s drummer on his first tour, Rain or Shine.
- Rooster Tenders – The seventh monitor was the primary single launched for What Might Presumably Go Incorrect. Fike launched “Rooster Tenders” on June 5, 2020. This various pop-meets-R&B music shares the same sound to the music that introduced Fike to fame, “three Nights”. “three Nights” was a worldwide hit that stuffed the waves of different radio stations final summer time, and I feel “Rooster Tenders” can have the same impact. The music is catchy and upbeat as Fike sings a couple of resort room love story. Although the lyrics are fairly informal, there was a number of sentiment behind the phrase on the one’s cowl artwork. “In case you can’t get out of it, get into it,” was the phrase utilized by designer Clayborne Bujorian. Bujorian talks about how his mother would inform this phrase to him on a regular basis when he was going via a tough 12 months. I feel it’s cool how Fike’s whole workforce works collectively to convey one thing that’s significant to them to every challenge. The music video opens with the identical phrase, and was directed by Reed Bennett.
- Whats For Dinner? – This subsequent monitor has extra of an alt-R&B sound to it. The lyrics get a bit extra weak as Fike appears to be singing in regards to the significance of communication in a relationship, particularly when issues get rocky. He sings, “I simply bought again from the gastroenterologist / he advised me I can’t drink, so now I be excessive and sh*t / and all insensitive.” This exhibits the results medicine can have on somebody’s day-to-day life. I feel my favourite line is, “Wouldn’t it be one thing price restore or / am I simply scared for ya?”
- Vampire – If Twilight ever will get an L.A. themed remake, “Vampire” must be on the soundtrack. On this pop-track, Fike compares individuals within the Hollywood night time scene to vampires, “we’re all meals for the bloodsuckers / movin’ beneath the moonlight / just like the vampires.” I feel he implies that a number of individuals in Hollywood will use you simply to get one thing they want with out reciprocating any type of genuinity.
- Celebrity Sh*t – This monitor has extra of a tragic lofi-pop sound to it. Within the first verse, followers will acknowledge him referring again to “King of All the things” from DFAMD when he sings, “neglect how good it feels to be alone, you dig? / watch a film in your telephone, for actual.” I feel this music is perhaps a couple of break up, however almost certainly somebody leaving your life. The ultimate line simply actually hits when Fike sings, “I attempt to pressure a smile, however can’t deny that.”
- Politics & Violence – This was the second single launched for What Can Presumably Go Incorrect. On July 7, 2020, this music was launched with one of the vital lovely music movies I’ve ever seen. The video was directed by Reed Bennett and produced with Psycho Movies. It took over a month to seize the altering night time skies of Scotland because the lyrics had been projected over castles and mountains. The music begins with orchestral strings as Fike sings as soon as once more about what Hollywood counts as “success.” The beat swap after the bridge is so clear as Fike transitions to rapping about an expertise with a woman, however then the true purpose why he does what he does – for his household. A line that appears motivational for the 12 months would most likely be, “trip ‘til the wheels fall off,” simply because it type of implies to maintain attempting even when issues really feel uncontrolled.
- Joe Blazey – Out of all of the songs on the album, I discover myself replaying this one essentially the most. There appears to be pressure between Fike and whoever he’s singing to/about. The particular person reminds him of his previous, and the nice occasions, but additionally appeared to trigger a variety of grief in lyrics like, “I bought a heartache / I’m in a darkplace.” My favourite half is what feels like a telephone name between Fike and his producer and buddy, Julian Cruz. You’ll hear Fike inform Cruz he simply had a panic assault, and Cruz checks up on him to verify all is effectively. There’s one thing grounding about listening to the reassurance from a buddy, and I feel components like these simply make the album extra intimate.
- Wurli – This alt-pop music doesn’t maintain again from being utterly sincere as Fike sings a couple of poisonous relationship. Instrumentally, this music is becoming for being near the tip of the album. It type of has the identical sound as one thing you’ll hear on the finish of a film. Part of the refrain that basically simply stands out is, “this isn’t love, I’m a glorified doorstep / stickin’ my foot out for you / and that’s not all I might do.” It exhibits that some individuals in a relationship would go the additional mile for those that simply stroll throughout them.
- Florida – Dominic Fike labored with Kenny Beats to make the ultimate monitor to the album. It jogs my memory so much like Frank Ocean’s remaining songs in his albums with the overlapped recordings and vocal distortions. Fike appears to be singing to everybody from his residence state, Florida, and paints an image of the place he’s now earlier than he raps about the place he began. He says, “each child with me grew collectively, I’m pleased with us / from a sunken place to the highest / and have a look at what we achieved.” Earlier than the outro, he finishes with, “I simply hope you concentrate on every part if you play this music / don’t take that sh*t too severe,” a reminder all of us can use throughout these ever-changing occasions.
Abstract: Everybody ought to be capable to discover a music they take pleasure in with the flexibility of this album. From orchestral string items to various rap and rock, this album has just a little little bit of every part. It was actually attention-grabbing to listen to components of Dominic Fike’s backstory and “come-up” via the lyrics of those songs. After listening to this, it could be troublesome to say Fike isn’t a rising staple of Gen-Z music. I might price this album a 4.5/5 Spinnaker Sails. Whereas I cherished each music individually on this album, one thing in regards to the placement or order is what attracts me again from giving it a 5/5. This album will most undoubtedly be on repeat for the remainder of the 12 months although!
Standout Tracks: “Come Right here,” “Celebrity Sh*t,” “Politics & Violence,” and “Joe Blazey.”
For extra data or information ideas, or in case you see an error on this story or have any compliments or issues, contact [email protected].